salsa smells like recovery

14:36 Edit This 8 Comments »
there's a half empty squeezey jar of Discovery Salsa sitting on a shelf in our kitchen. last night while I was standing in the kitchen waiting for the kettle to boil, a random urge to smell this jar of salsa came over me. haven't a clue why, but just the smell of it took me back in a wrenching, almost painful way to about August/September time. when I was trying to gain weight and having problems with delayed gastric emptying, I devised a lot of low fat/low fibre meals. one of these was salsa on a tortilla with low fat mozzarella cheese and sausages or tofu. now the salsa is sitting there sadly abandoned because just the concept of keeping down such a complete 'meal' is terrifying to me. a lot of the time I just live minute to minute and the reality of how bad things have gotten doesn't hit me. but last night it really did.

compared to late summer my days resemble some kind of bizarre futuristic torture chamber. I wake up, aching all over from the mattress which seems to poke through the two blankets I've folded over it, and turn over hoping not to have to get up. when I do, after a few dodgy attempts at standing, the muscles in my legs feel like I ran a marathon the day before. trust me, I did nothing of the sort. I debate the merits of a cigarette before breakfast, because the potential to pass out is fairly high. after making it through making breakfast, with a few trips back to my room to sit down so my housemates don't see that I'm not so great on the vertical-ness, I eat it slowly while reading BBC news. for some reason I feel the need to reheat my porridge in the microwave maybe two or three times, because it has to be almost burning my tongue. this irritates me immensely, partly because I find it pathetic and partly because standing makes my legs ache again at that hour of the morning and before some calories have made it past my digestion of doom into my system.

in the day, it's rare that I accomplish much. somehow small tasks seem to become mountains and the relative energy they require is daunting. funnily enough I always make it to the supermarket without fail. what I buy varies, but it always includes two 250g packs of butter. yes, I keep the dairy industry going. I tend to also try and make it at the optimum time to scour the reduced section. when you're going to eat everything you buy that night and not digest it anyway, best before dates don't tend to matter to you. I have a massive handbag to bring my shopping in because my housemates would be somewhat confused to see me buying so much given how ridiculous I look. later on in the day I repeat the porridge fiasco but with other foods, soup is another one which irritatingly has to be reheated over and over. I drink black coffee and Pepsi Max or Diet Irn Bru, and rotate coffee/soda/mouthful of food over and over like a quiet rhythm which will keep me grounded. after eating I have more energy and the potential for being able to do normal things like push a supermarket trolley or hang up my laundry without needing to sit down and rest is improved.

about 10 o'clock I start cooking, if everyone's in bed. sometimes I crave certain things and get into a habit of having them, a lot of the time though I rely on cheap staples like toast, spaghettios or supernoodles. something to sit and eat mindlessly. there are very few savoury foods I don't add disturbing amounts of butter too. tastes change bizarrely with starvation...the idea would have disgusted me at a more reasonable weight. there is a high, a thrill in eating, but more and more I dread the night going on and feeling more and more drained and scared and alone. inevitably most nights I will at some point lose feeling in my feet and calves, and start swaying, then get it back with a strange buzzing sensation. concerning initially, but now that it's routine and I'm fairly sure on the origin (electrolytes) I tend to ignore it and down more Sando K. this is how I ended up waiting for the kettle to boil, needing more water to purge over, and over, slightly dazed and trying to distance myself from it because I feel so physically dire, actually feeling relieved when I can taste pure acid because then I am 'allowed' to stop, of course how I feel physically is nothing to the emotional torture I would put myself through if I thought I hadn't gotten rid of every last morsel of food. along with showering, lying down while the world spins around me in those moments is one of the most rewarding times of my day. ultimately, extremely pathetic.

sometimes reality hits me in those times, at 2 or 3am when my heart is racing and jumping in my chest. it's sad, that someone would do this to themselves. someone, who, I once thought, had a life or at least a semblance of one. who ate tortillas with salsa and was scared about the future but hoped to face it head on.

it's probably unsurprising that Katie inspired this post, along with the salsa. I've also wanted to be brutally honest with myself, and anyone else who reads, for awhile and write something to show what the experience of being very ill with my ED is like for me. I know I can be in a lot of denial, and come across quite 'together'...I'm at uni, I 'get along' in life, maybe being at a low weight isn't so bad? it is, and I know it on some level too. unfortunately I don't have an ending to my story yet, a way to look back on how things are now. guess I'm going to have to build one from now...

8 comments:

mariposai said...

That was such a beautiful but sad post. I remember so many of the experiences you describe, and feel so lucky that I am able to look back on them as part of my past rather than my present.

There's so much more to life than this, so please don't give up hope of reaching a better place, because it does exist and you can get there. I really want you to get there.

Sarah x

Anonymous said...

Change doesn't happen we have to MAKE it happen. Please, please get some help asap, you know that things are serious and you know deep down that this is not what you want for yourself- you said so before you can't "live" like ,so what are you waiting for?
This probably sounds so unsympathetic but reality is stark. Honestly I understand how hard it must be for you but you CAN escape this I know it. You don't have to suffer alone.
E xoxox

Katie said...

I am having trouble replying to this given the occurrences of the last half hour, but I couldn't not. I hope this post was helpful for you to write, and hopefully it will be a useful way to measure how far you have come one day :) I know you've been trying hard to change things and I'm really proud of you <3 I Eating disorders try to make people feel as if they have no choice but to keep doing what they've been doing, but you have never struck me as someone who is passive and helpless by nature and I am not going to stop believing that you will kick seven kinds of shit out of your eating disorder eventually :)

J said...

It is j here.
The description you give is like a throwback to my really I'll days. I guess it is like an out of control madness that absorbs your mind and dictates your behaviour. But there is another side to it where you lose the drive and start to leave the disorder behind you. I hope that one dayyou will reach that point. Until then, please try to hold in there.

mariposai said...

hey thanks for the lovely comment - it's cool to hear from a fellow pianist ;)

I was lucky enough to duet a couple of times with a fellow patient - we bought a Sound of Music duets book specially for the occasion!

Perhaps we will both rediscover our pianistic enthusiasm in the future....

xxx

Anonymous said...

Words fail me, Fi. I've tried to imagine what you must go through during your darkest times but hearing you describe it in such graphic detail is just heartbreaking. It certainly puts my problems into perspective and I feel so self-absorbed when you have to deal with hellish days, weeks, months like this.

I remember your posts from the summer when you were so full of potential and hope. That person isn't gone. She's still there, fighting to come back. That ending to your story is there, it is within reach. No-one's endings are happy as in dancing elves and sunshine-happy, but you deserve so, so much better than this. It really does sound like a living Hell and I completely understand why Katie always feels so furious with EDs now. Seeing what yours is doing to you makes me incandescent with rage that someone as beautiful, talented, prodigiously intelligent as yourself should have to be plagued by this horrible, insidious illness.

I wish I could take away your pain so badly. I hope so much that things will start to look up for you.

*hugs*

~Jess~

Anonymous said...

(gah it just swallowed my comment up, hoping i can remember it...)

This entry made me cry.

I am so sorry. So sorry that a wonderful, kind, amazing person like you Fi is having to live through this. I remember it and it is hell. It really is.

Please never give up thinking you can beat this. Please keep hope. There is so much more out there for you.

I love you, so, so much. I wish i knew exactly what to say or do to make things better. But we all know that the only thing anyone can do is be here, by your side, holding your hand and willing you on. You can do this Fi. I know you feel so weak right now, you need to pull that inner strrength from inside you with all you can.

Always here for you. Claire xoxox

Anonymous said...

Fight. Please fight this. I know things are horrible right now but only you can make them better, people are right. That girl who was full of hope for the future isn't lost, fight, get help, you can do this.

Loves <3