bull in a china shop?
17:08 Edit This 6 Comments »
despite being a Sunday, today was destined to be a good one because of the 4 hour marathon of 'Lie To Me' on Sky 2 this afternoon. I officially love Tim Roth and am a TV addict. hadn't seen any of these, it was the first four episodes, and I loved them! they were slightly spoiled by my parents getting home for the last one and making random comments about how much they hated it...terrible taste I tell you! they hate House too :O shocking I know.
also, I am so clumsy it's almost unreal! and apparently have issues with actually feeling pain at appropriate times. remember my shaving cut/graze? and how I didn't feel it until I saw the blood? well. I went running along that amazing path by the Thames this morning and didn't notice I had somehow acquired a nasty cut on my foot until I got back and was greeted by this...

yep, that's blood :P and I hadn't felt a thing. it hurts now though! I feel rather special having had this happen twice during what, two/three weeks of running? on that note though, it has occurred to me that I am REALLY ignorant about exercise in all forms. seriously! you guys have to help me out here. it may sound a little weird but even when I was purely restrictive AN I was of the 'I'd rather sit on my butt and not eat' school of thought...when I was admitted this winter and I did a questionnaire on exercise addiction I got the lowest possible score, which apparently is lower than a lot of 'healthy' people, lol. but besides that tangent the point is that I don't know how to train, how to rest, how to stretch, what sort of thing to eat before I run, after...you know, anything! I am making a project of researching now, because I will actually injure myself if I continue just going with the flow!
the rest of today has been uneventful, I am just panicking about my review on Tuesday and that has me thinking about uni, of course. I can't ever seem to talk in 'whole family reviews' (they involve a doctor, a CPN, me and my parents) because my family don't talk about much at home so it's a totally false environment. I also know I will be weighed and it will inevitably set the tone for whether it's a positive meeting or not. I know there will be a gain from last time, but I'd so much like it to be a fairly substantial one and I'm not sure exactly what will happen. my body seems totally unpredictable so we'll see.
I can't get too fixated, anyway, cause I most probably won't have a scale in the house at uni. at least that's my line of thinking at the moment, although I'm slightly worried about it now and not sure whether it's the right thing. even though I've talked on here about taking things slowly, I 100% do want to get to my final target weight as an end result. I tend to see it as a different type of 'negotiating'...bear with me here as it's an odd metaphor. sometimes in treatment there is this idea that you never 'give an inch' or 'negotiate' with your ED, it's basically like negotiating with Al Qaeda. well, I work with a slightly different approach to recovery. despite the rhetoric, governments DO negotiate with terrorists cause they realise that the terrorist has the power and resources to blow them up :P but they do so with the end goal of winning the war! rather than the kind of 'fake negotiation' which is seen both in politics and with anorexics, where the end goal is basically to let yourself be walked all over while pretending to negotiate! long ramble. point of it is - I need to get my weight up a fair bit more, and I am slightly worried that uni will allow me to let this fall by the wayside. so perhaps I need a scale glaring at me in the bathroom to remind me of this goal. and perhaps I could throw it out once I get there! or smash it! I haven't decided yet, I'm just rambling about it. but any thoughts welcome :)
a positive note to finish on: I ran out of something I had planned to have for this evening's snack. initially I got freaked out, but then decided on another,er, challenge shall we say? I haven't kept down 'dessert' in a very, very long time outside of IP. I don't even really want to think about how long, it's sad! I've had chocolate, sweets, sweet things...but never an actual dessert. firstly, I think they have bad associations. pie, pie more pie and custard in hospital did not do me any favours! secondly, I eat little and often cause of my GI issues so dessert post-meal wouldn't work. ANYWAY, I saw that my parents had brought this back from their weekend away, and I wanted some. so I had a slice. surprisingly uneventful! everything gets so much easier and less terrifying when you are eating a lot more :P hopefully my stomach will agree, because I'm sure the fat content is, er, high...but I'm going to sleep now so I have a good chance to digest and wake up feeling good! ahhh the power of positive thinking...
also, I am so clumsy it's almost unreal! and apparently have issues with actually feeling pain at appropriate times. remember my shaving cut/graze? and how I didn't feel it until I saw the blood? well. I went running along that amazing path by the Thames this morning and didn't notice I had somehow acquired a nasty cut on my foot until I got back and was greeted by this...
yep, that's blood :P and I hadn't felt a thing. it hurts now though! I feel rather special having had this happen twice during what, two/three weeks of running? on that note though, it has occurred to me that I am REALLY ignorant about exercise in all forms. seriously! you guys have to help me out here. it may sound a little weird but even when I was purely restrictive AN I was of the 'I'd rather sit on my butt and not eat' school of thought...when I was admitted this winter and I did a questionnaire on exercise addiction I got the lowest possible score, which apparently is lower than a lot of 'healthy' people, lol. but besides that tangent the point is that I don't know how to train, how to rest, how to stretch, what sort of thing to eat before I run, after...you know, anything! I am making a project of researching now, because I will actually injure myself if I continue just going with the flow!
the rest of today has been uneventful, I am just panicking about my review on Tuesday and that has me thinking about uni, of course. I can't ever seem to talk in 'whole family reviews' (they involve a doctor, a CPN, me and my parents) because my family don't talk about much at home so it's a totally false environment. I also know I will be weighed and it will inevitably set the tone for whether it's a positive meeting or not. I know there will be a gain from last time, but I'd so much like it to be a fairly substantial one and I'm not sure exactly what will happen. my body seems totally unpredictable so we'll see.
I can't get too fixated, anyway, cause I most probably won't have a scale in the house at uni. at least that's my line of thinking at the moment, although I'm slightly worried about it now and not sure whether it's the right thing. even though I've talked on here about taking things slowly, I 100% do want to get to my final target weight as an end result. I tend to see it as a different type of 'negotiating'...bear with me here as it's an odd metaphor. sometimes in treatment there is this idea that you never 'give an inch' or 'negotiate' with your ED, it's basically like negotiating with Al Qaeda. well, I work with a slightly different approach to recovery. despite the rhetoric, governments DO negotiate with terrorists cause they realise that the terrorist has the power and resources to blow them up :P but they do so with the end goal of winning the war! rather than the kind of 'fake negotiation' which is seen both in politics and with anorexics, where the end goal is basically to let yourself be walked all over while pretending to negotiate! long ramble. point of it is - I need to get my weight up a fair bit more, and I am slightly worried that uni will allow me to let this fall by the wayside. so perhaps I need a scale glaring at me in the bathroom to remind me of this goal. and perhaps I could throw it out once I get there! or smash it! I haven't decided yet, I'm just rambling about it. but any thoughts welcome :)
a positive note to finish on: I ran out of something I had planned to have for this evening's snack. initially I got freaked out, but then decided on another,er, challenge shall we say? I haven't kept down 'dessert' in a very, very long time outside of IP. I don't even really want to think about how long, it's sad! I've had chocolate, sweets, sweet things...but never an actual dessert. firstly, I think they have bad associations. pie, pie more pie and custard in hospital did not do me any favours! secondly, I eat little and often cause of my GI issues so dessert post-meal wouldn't work. ANYWAY, I saw that my parents had brought this back from their weekend away, and I wanted some. so I had a slice. surprisingly uneventful! everything gets so much easier and less terrifying when you are eating a lot more :P hopefully my stomach will agree, because I'm sure the fat content is, er, high...but I'm going to sleep now so I have a good chance to digest and wake up feeling good! ahhh the power of positive thinking...

6 comments:
Wow. I relate to so many things on this post. My legs are covered in scars from shaving, especially the knees. Not even recent scars, either, but from 3 years ago! And I never felt the ones that bled the most.
As for pre-and-post exercise: you should do about 10 minutes of stretching and warming up before a run, then 5-10 minutes of cooling down (walking slowly, then stretching). I'm always so pressed for time that I forgo the stretching, but it really is necessary. Look up warm-ups on youtube or google, if you need ideas. Some guidelines would be to focus on side stretches, quads, hamstrings, calves and ankles.
Before you run, eat carbs and protein. Clif bars are good fuel, or pasta with chicken. Nothing too heavy.
Also, if you're interested in weight training, I'd recommend going to bodyrock.tv (website). It's my favorite place for fitness knowledge, and the woman who runs it has been an inspiration for me to gain weight (she's proof that non-disordered people who eat all day can look amazing).
btw-Lie to Me and House are two of the best shows ever to grace television. Your parents must not be paying enough attention when they watch them, because if they did they would love 'em, too.
You might hate me, but I can't say I ever managed to fall in love with House. (Even though one of my friends told me I'd like it because he is "just like" me -- how nice, considering that he's a pompous asshole! ;p)
I also am a bit delayed on the injury front... it's like, oh, hey, when did THAT happen?! The fact that I seem to accrue random injuries in the oddest of places makes this even weirder, but whatever...
It's awesome that you had that dessert; I'm sure it was really yummy!! :)
<3 <3
Im totally clueless when it comes to exercise so I cant offer any tips there!
I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow, I hate those types of rewviews where you know your weight is just going to determine the whole talk.
As for scales at uni, I think its a great chance to break away from trying to weigh yourself a lot but I can also see your point with uni being a big change to your routine and structure you want to keep tabs that you arent slipping back. Perhaps instead of buying a scale you could occasionally go to boots or another pharmacy and use the machines they have there? That way you could check your weight but you dont have the temptation of the scale every day at home staring you in the face.
xoxo
I'm extremely clumsy and injury-prone too ~ I often find myself covered in bruises and can't recollect where they came from at all.
Tim Roth is a brilliant actor ~ loved him in Reservoir Dogs and Rob Roy even though in the latter he was playing an evil, vile person...he does play villains so exceedingly well though. God knows why he got involved in Tim Burton's godawful Planet of the Apes 're-imagining'. I just can't watch House! Hugh Laurie's accent is too distracting and always makes me laugh ; )
It's difficult to give exercise advice because it generally comes down to finding out what works for you though trial and error: people work out at different times, have different fuelling strategies, have their own bodily quirks and injuries to deal with. Some people need / want rest days, others don't. The only 'must' is to make sure you stretch extensively both before and after (focusing on legs and back if you're running) and to ensure that you're eating enough to compensate for the calories burned (I don't have a problem with that lol) Going with the flow really isn't that bad as long as you're not upping the mileage a ridiculous amount and making sure you listen to your body.
<3
xoxoxo
I hope your digestive system behaved itself after dessert! Yum :)
Ooh, you should look at the runner's world website, they have some great beginners tips and training plans. I can't believe your parents don't like House! I can't decide whether I am more in love with House or Lightman, it's a very close call :P
Good luck at the review tomorrow <3
Can I just say that I can't believe anyone can hate House! Blasphemy!
Anyway, congrats on the dessert, it looks rather yummy. Hope it was kind on your tummy :)
I dropped off the blogosphere for a while but just to let you know you can now find me at http://thoughtsbyantonia.wordpress.com/
Take care <3
Post a Comment