not a promising Monday!

03:19 Edit This 5 Comments »
since it's Monday, I have to say that last week was fantastic and the most fun I've had in a very long time :D yesterday this was thanks to meeting up with Katie in London for the vegan festival! we found each other in Waterloo and decided that obviously going to Wholefoods for lunch was the perfect way to start our day. since it was so good I had almost exactly the same combo of spicy egg noodles and tofu I did on Saturday, plus some random bits & pieces I chucked in there! sadly I left my camera at home in the rush that morning so I couldn't take pics, even though we were discussing the fact that food blogging is so common now and taking pics in public isn't too embarrassing anymore.

after lunch we headed for the vegan festival which was HUGE! lots of different stalls with clothing, food, leaflets etc over about three rooms. there's very little on a vegan diet which I can eat while following the low fat/minimum fibre thing, so I didn't get anything but having a milk allergy meant Katie was able to find an amazing amount of vegan desserts/chocolate type things which she can't get elsewhere. it was pretty cool to discover that they can make vegan chocolate bars with rice milk! we left the festival with a huge stash of milk-free vegan stuff in tow, and headed off to the Natural History museum. luckily this time there was no queue and we got in to see the dinosaurs, along with the big scary plastic T-Rex model which I remember scaring me when I was a kid. my great realisation from this museum trip - it's SO good to actually be interested in doing things like this and just going out and looking round places for fun! I used to have a 'what's the point' attitude when I was ill, probably because everything involved more effort and didn't interest me anyway.

the rest of the day involved random wanderings down Oxford Street, eating lots of sugar (I had like, 80g of candy corn? lol), Starbucks...oh and we dropped into Waterstones and met Aisha at work! I've just located her blog and I'm not sure she knows who I am :P but it was cool to meet another UK blogger in person! it was also brilliant to see Katie again, when I move up North soon I will miss her terribly :( ah well incentive to keep blogging hey, I want to keep in touch when I have time!

since I totally failed with pictures from our time in London, I will try to make up for it with a new food discovery I had last night - rice porridge :) I'd been meaning to try it for ages, I'm not sure if I got the proportions right or not though! the packet I had said 50g with a whole PINT of liquid! I actually used 50g with 200ml soymilk and 200ml water, which seemed to work. looks like this...



with honey and blackcurrant jam. I need better add-in ideas though. the jam was nice but the honey didn't seem to add anything, it just melted! more rice porridge in the future though I think, time for experimentation :)

this morning has been a bit of a failure so far...firstly I woke up and the cleaner was here, which ALWAYS happens on a Monday but really irritates me and puts me in a grumpy mood! I hate having someone I don't know wandering around the house when I'm trying to shower, and not being able to have breakfast/coffee for an hour just makes me grouchy! also, I am totally and utterly confused by my weight this morning - down a whole kilogram in the last four days? I had gained a kg in the week before that, and I don't think my intake has really changed. I tried counting up a few days this morning to see what's going on and it seems like I've been getting anywhere between 2100 and 2800 calories a day (I don't count daily or eat the same amounts every day)...probably at the upper end if I went for a run or was out shopping all day etc. so why on earth does my body both gain AND lose so quickly and easily on this sort of amount (which in itself is significantly over what I was 'told' to eat)? or is it not 'real' weight somehow? I'm slightly confused and irritated. for the moment I just drank an extra glass of juice with breakfast, so we'll see. does anyone else have a crazy body like mine which likes to go up and down in weight for seemingly no reason?

5 comments:

Nancy said...

IN MY OPINON... You and Katie (and everyone else who lives in the UK) are extremely lucky to have such amazing events such as the vegan festival! I wish things like that were held in my city. HMPHHH! But I'm glad you both had a lovely time :)

Teehee, I love candy too and I can easily finish off 4 or 5 bags of candy... or more :O

Katie said...

Dude, I'm going to miss you too! You'd better not spend the whole time partying or I will start pining :P
I realised when I was posting about yesterday on my blog that other than my Wholefoods salad I only took photos of chocolate :P we are so healthy!
Jam goes really well with rice porridge! If your stomach can cope with bananas in the morning how about mashing one up and cooking it in for a couple of minutes at the end? I used to do that and it's really nice :)

J said...

It is good to see you enjoying time with Katie.

You may have woken up in a bad frame of mind this morning, but please remember how much you enjoyed last week. Maybe this week can be the same?

Anonymous said...

Hi Fi,

I just went through your archives and I have to admit I identify with the feelings you wrote about in your earlier posts. :) Would you mind if I quoted (& gave you credit) a few exerpts of your thoughts ? I doubt I could express myself any better than you have. Love your new outfit by the way.

Anonymous said...

So happy you had such a fantastic time at the vegan festival : )

Rice porridge is extremely tempremental and your first attempt looks one heck of a lot better than mine was. In terms of mix-ins I don't know what to suggest as all of mine are high fibre (and fat!) but perhaps agave nectar would work better than honey? Or golden syrup / treacle? Hopefully that doesn't sound too much like a bizarre suggestion!

I wish I could give some better advice about the scales but to be honest the reason I got rid of them was that my weight would be all over the place from one day to the next, with a general trend recently of increasing (except that obviously I don't need it to increase!) and it was just too stressful...water weight really does account for so much in the body and I'm not sure where you are BMI wise right now but hormones can play a huge part too...I think being given a 2000 kcal figure for weight gain was probably too low given your height...hopefully it's not stressing you out too severely but as long as you're taking care of yourself and eating well I wouldn't worry too much about the number?

*hugs*