guide to London with small children
16:17 Edit This 5 Comments »
who else never knows how to start a post?
again, this should be easy for someone who is apparently good at writing essays! still, I never seem to know how to start those either. once I get going I can write and write and I love it, but the number of times I've sat in front of my computer or a piece of paper wondering how to dive into talking about Shakespeare or the Russian Revolution...maybe I'm just an indecisive person ;)
today was another day out with my brother, my mum's ill so I took him off her hands for the day. it's not swine flu, but it might be septicaemia though, she had it before when I was at school and apparently the symptoms are similar. I think she's feeling pretty rough though :(
ah well no complaints about spending time with my brother! perhaps I am a child at heart but who cares! we went for conveyor belt sushi in Picadilly which was brilliant...I missed breakfast so it was the first time I've ever taken five plates to make up for it. usually I get scared of volume eating so I just pick denser stuff and the kid eats more than I do lol. I think (please do not let this jinx me) that my stomach is feeling a lil better lately.
went to the natural history museum in the afternoon which was a total mental trip back to my childhood. there was much disappointment about the long queue for the dinosaurs exhibition though! here's a quick snap I took:

after that, errr I may have dragged my bro to Wholefoods. come on, tell me you wouldn't have done the same! it's only two stops from South Ken where the museums are soooo why not? here's my stash...

muesli for my brother (ok I had to placate him somehow, he was bored), Vanilla Heaven PB, Clif bars, Wallaby bars, mint carob (omg love this)
I also bought one of those Pack Tunch 'bars' (ok it's not actually a bar shape so I don't know what to call it!) but munched it for afternoon snack before I took this picture. twas really nice texture/satisfaction wise but I wish I'd bought a different flavour cause I didn't realise it would taste SO much of apple, I was hoping for more cinnamon, which I really couldn't detect. there's also lemon/lime and pineapple/coconut though so I'm not writing them off ;)
sidenote: does anyone have some CHEAP snack ideas for me? spending loads was fun but I am realising that my two relied upon ideas, bars and cereal, aren't ideal. I can't have cereal at every snack cause I have it at breakfast and it gets repetitive, and bars aren't cheap!
post-Wholefoods we went to Starbucks on the Strand, then headed off to Hamleys and the Apple store. small child's paradise much! tonight I am shattered but I love London, I could spend forever wandering around even if I do have to do 'kids' activities!
feel like things are looking up at the moment, I am much more motivated and happier than I've been in ages. I don't feel on edge all the time or obsessive/anxious and worried about everything. on the one hand it's great, but it makes me nervous that I know it's probably related to eating more and gaining. confusing, but now there's this lurking nervousness in the back of my head that I can only feel 'normal' on a weight gain diet, how am I ever going to maintain? argh. of course, I should trust that maintaining a healthy weight will be different to a very low one. but trust is a sticking point, lol. it didn't help that I expressed these worries at my last appointment and I think I may have been misunderstood, but she told me that I shouldn't worry and she would help me adjust my diet at my target, I don't need to keep gaining forever. bearing in mind that the target is a bmi of 17 soaking wet...argh. of course we agreed on that because I have never been at a healthy weight and I'm not a fan of freaking the crap out of myself before it's necessary, so I tend not to think about gaining more and just hope/pray that things will fall into place in the future so that I will! but now I'm scared of facing the dilemma that I won't feel mentally 'good' if I stop and maintain there even for a few months, but throwing myself into gaining more weight than I've ever done in my life, just as I get back into uni probably? could be a crap dilemma. I don't know why I am overthinking this now, I should probably stop as I feel like things are going really well and I'm trying to think of all the ways they could go wrong :P
on another slightly dull note, I think I have to weigh myself and I am freaking the heck out. my last weigh-in was last week and I won't have another one for at least two weeks, maybe more. I need to see what's going on, but I'm equally terrified of gaining/not gaining/too much/not enough...you know the score! any tips for non-freaking out?
night all :)
x
again, this should be easy for someone who is apparently good at writing essays! still, I never seem to know how to start those either. once I get going I can write and write and I love it, but the number of times I've sat in front of my computer or a piece of paper wondering how to dive into talking about Shakespeare or the Russian Revolution...maybe I'm just an indecisive person ;)
today was another day out with my brother, my mum's ill so I took him off her hands for the day. it's not swine flu, but it might be septicaemia though, she had it before when I was at school and apparently the symptoms are similar. I think she's feeling pretty rough though :(
ah well no complaints about spending time with my brother! perhaps I am a child at heart but who cares! we went for conveyor belt sushi in Picadilly which was brilliant...I missed breakfast so it was the first time I've ever taken five plates to make up for it. usually I get scared of volume eating so I just pick denser stuff and the kid eats more than I do lol. I think (please do not let this jinx me) that my stomach is feeling a lil better lately.
went to the natural history museum in the afternoon which was a total mental trip back to my childhood. there was much disappointment about the long queue for the dinosaurs exhibition though! here's a quick snap I took:
after that, errr I may have dragged my bro to Wholefoods. come on, tell me you wouldn't have done the same! it's only two stops from South Ken where the museums are soooo why not? here's my stash...
muesli for my brother (ok I had to placate him somehow, he was bored), Vanilla Heaven PB, Clif bars, Wallaby bars, mint carob (omg love this)
I also bought one of those Pack Tunch 'bars' (ok it's not actually a bar shape so I don't know what to call it!) but munched it for afternoon snack before I took this picture. twas really nice texture/satisfaction wise but I wish I'd bought a different flavour cause I didn't realise it would taste SO much of apple, I was hoping for more cinnamon, which I really couldn't detect. there's also lemon/lime and pineapple/coconut though so I'm not writing them off ;)
sidenote: does anyone have some CHEAP snack ideas for me? spending loads was fun but I am realising that my two relied upon ideas, bars and cereal, aren't ideal. I can't have cereal at every snack cause I have it at breakfast and it gets repetitive, and bars aren't cheap!
post-Wholefoods we went to Starbucks on the Strand, then headed off to Hamleys and the Apple store. small child's paradise much! tonight I am shattered but I love London, I could spend forever wandering around even if I do have to do 'kids' activities!
feel like things are looking up at the moment, I am much more motivated and happier than I've been in ages. I don't feel on edge all the time or obsessive/anxious and worried about everything. on the one hand it's great, but it makes me nervous that I know it's probably related to eating more and gaining. confusing, but now there's this lurking nervousness in the back of my head that I can only feel 'normal' on a weight gain diet, how am I ever going to maintain? argh. of course, I should trust that maintaining a healthy weight will be different to a very low one. but trust is a sticking point, lol. it didn't help that I expressed these worries at my last appointment and I think I may have been misunderstood, but she told me that I shouldn't worry and she would help me adjust my diet at my target, I don't need to keep gaining forever. bearing in mind that the target is a bmi of 17 soaking wet...argh. of course we agreed on that because I have never been at a healthy weight and I'm not a fan of freaking the crap out of myself before it's necessary, so I tend not to think about gaining more and just hope/pray that things will fall into place in the future so that I will! but now I'm scared of facing the dilemma that I won't feel mentally 'good' if I stop and maintain there even for a few months, but throwing myself into gaining more weight than I've ever done in my life, just as I get back into uni probably? could be a crap dilemma. I don't know why I am overthinking this now, I should probably stop as I feel like things are going really well and I'm trying to think of all the ways they could go wrong :P
on another slightly dull note, I think I have to weigh myself and I am freaking the heck out. my last weigh-in was last week and I won't have another one for at least two weeks, maybe more. I need to see what's going on, but I'm equally terrified of gaining/not gaining/too much/not enough...you know the score! any tips for non-freaking out?
night all :)
x

5 comments:
Oh wow! You are so lucky you have a Whole Foods near you, the one nearest to me is downtown and its FARRRR. Whhheeee~!You had such a great time with your brother :)
As for snacks, I too rely on bars. But I try to have chocolate more frequently now (besides, who doesnt like chocolate?). ;D
SO jealous of your Whole Foods haul! I know that my bar habit really is out of hand too...I spend virtually all my money on them, at the expense of clothes (well, apart from running shoes lol) Making a home-made trail mix might be cheaper? Just buying bulk bags of dried fruit, nuts and choc chips maybe? I'd do the same thing but I can't control myself around the stuff ; ) Or perhaps fruit/nut butter/milk of choice smoothies?
So sorry to hear about your mum ~ I hope both of you feel better soon.
I'm terrible for starting posts and essays too: sometimes the first paragraph takes as long to compile as the 10,000 words which follow it!
<3
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey Chook,
Thoughts about weighing - I personally prefer to weigh myself (even with the freak outs) because I"d prefer to have the control than not. These are my suggestions, if you're going to weigh yourself with any regularity, then standardise it! For example, I weigh naked, before or after shower (as I know it makes no difference on my shakes) after my first poo for the day (so if I don't poo until the arvo then I weigh then). HOWEVER, the weights that "count" are when I poo in the morning and weigh then. (Because later in the day I've eaten, but essentially if you're eating regularly, that should impact as much as pooing!) haha for delightfulness of my method :p!
The next tip is to prepare yourself for the fact that the weight will hopefully go up. I usually find that even if it does as I expect, I still feel a bit bummed about it even though I know its good, so I sigh, let myself wallow for a moment, then tell myself that its a good thing and a few reasons why, then I go eat something! Yep, I do exactly what I think I should not do! BUT it does help to break the strength of AN straight away rather than letting it ruminate. Also I don't try to focus on all the "positive" (or negative) points for too long, maybe only five minutes. Otherwise it becomes even more obsessive.
When I lose, I own the fact that I like that feeling and that yes, I know I shouldn't but I do. Then I remind myself of why I do not want to lose weight AND why I like to lose it regardless. Again, I do this for a few minutes, then I go and eat AND I plan the rest of my meals for the day! (For me, unless I"ve gained WAY above what I have expected, I find it easier to eat after a small gain then if I've lost - but that's just me)... so planning for the rest of the day combats the strong instinct to restrict more.
THEN, when I'm doing really well and being really good about weighing, I try to have some time out to just chillax. ie no going walking down to the shops or stressful online convos! But just watching a nice and easy tv show, or reading a book, even for just 30-60 minutes. That helps to distract me enough and put some distance between the weighing and not.
Sooo... that's just MY stuff but maybe some of it is helpful and if not, all good :).
tbc - cause it was too long for the comments lol
econd topic: I was gonna say, its funny, my T (who is not an ed T), is really good about me aiming for maintaining and small gains. She goes, "Even just a couple more kg's..." and she is honest that she would like me much higher, but she just keeps saying, "Just a couple more kg's and you'll feel much better, just a few more..." My D says to me, "I think you will feel better if you are a higher weight, but maybe you won't, but we can only try and go by what we're aware is common and see what works best for you." She isn't aiming for a specific weight but is also aware of what is my highest concievable tolerable weight (which is in the healthy weight range). HOWEVER, my ed gp, just goes, "Right, we're going to get you to a BMI of 22 and you're going to gain between 0.5 - 1kg per week because if you don't then its pointless going slow" TALK ABOUT FREAKING A GIRL OUT!!! I understand the logic and I'm NOT saying that a BMI of 22 is unhealthy or bad to aspire to, it is good to do and she says it is because she wants a buffer zone so if I get sick, I don't slip so far etc... but well, that just seems scary and wow and oh my - I think you get it...
SOOOOO, knowing all this, and knowing how generally unmotivated I am, I pretty decided I wanted to stop seeing the D and only be super brief with the ed gp, why bother if I'm not motivated right? Well, my T goes, "I think it would be good to keep going to the D, keep trying to put on just a few more kg's and not stress too much about the ed gp... just keep doing the thing and setting small goals and hopefully your brain will catch up." For a non-ed therapist, I thought that was pretty smart!
So... I say, YAY to the goal of 17! Keep doing the stuff and like you say, my T says and I know say, hopefully our brains will catch up!
(Sorry this is so long - apparently I had a lot to say! hehe)
Love Telly xo
I love the natural history museum and I always take someone there to see the t=rex if they have never been lol!
You should try and make your own bars, just mush up the ingredients finely and squeeze them into a bar. Voila, easy peesy :)
xxx
Post a Comment